Winter coastal – top 5 tips for staying warm
Coastal Style isn’t only reserved for the warmer months. Its fresh clean lines and nuetral colour palette makes it prefecty suited to any time of year. It is however important to keep things fresh and – warm things up for the winter months.
Don’t get stuck in a rut when it comes to how you arrange your space – a change of season is the perfect excuse. If your living area is large enough, move your couches away from windows and doorways to a more ‘central’ part of the room, creating a warm ‘conversation area’.
Close up shop
Close the blinds or curtains at night, for a dramatic backdrop and a cosy feel. Hang heavier curtains over the windows for winter and swap out for a soft chiffon ‘open to the air’ feel for summer. Get into the habit of closing doors to the rooms you don’t use during the day
Layer upon Layer
- If you have bare boards, consider a rug where the central seating area is, or at the foot of your bed
- Add a sheepskin rug or cushion, perfect for snuggling and adds gorgeous texture.
- Place throw blankets over lounges and chairs, or across the end of the bed
Store it Well
Natural rattan and whicker baskets add a touch of warmth, and are the perfect home for your extra cushions and blankets.
Stop That Draft
Try to find where that annoying draft, or that cold air, is coming from – and stop it!
- Make sure your bathroom exhaust fan closes when not in use
- Install insulation strips around doors and windows
- Any type of curtaining over a window will help prevent loss of heat – why not place warm toned curtains over the windows for winter and remove them for that ‘open to the air’ feel for summer
- Get into the habit of closing doors to the rooms you don’t use during the day